The articulated arm is the ideal solution to extract the welding fumes and the inverter changes in real time the work capacity depending on the number of actual workstations used for maximum energy saving.
The extraction of fumes and powders produced during the different metal welding activities by capturing them as close as possible to the polluting source, as required by Italian and EU legislation and for the safety of the operators.
The Customer requires a great work flexibility since the welding workstations can work at 100% but in some periods even only at 30% of their capacity. In operational terms it means designing a plant that operates with the same efficiency in a capacity range from 9,000 to 40,000 m³/h without wasting electric power.
The customized design and the installation of a centralized Extraction plant with capturing of fumes and fine powders on each individual workstation carried out through 160 mm diameter articulated extraction arms equipped with flag extension to increase the working radius. The extraction workstations are connected among them by a circular cross section galvanized piping network and with a centrifugal simple extraction fan positioned outside of the production room. An inverter system with reading of the pressure inside the ducts will adjust the effective plant extraction capacity and consequently the fan power consumption for maximum energy saving.
Design and development
After a careful analysis of the Customer’s production requirements, of the work contemporaneousness and the production layout, our Technical Office has developed the centralized plant design:
• Sizing of the correct air speed both during the capture of the welding fumes and during crossing in the extraction channels with the consequent calculation of the total pressure losses depending on the filter piping path used.
• Selection of the type of the extraction arm and its related extension so as to facilitate as much as possible the welder’s work and at the same time capture the fumes as close as possible at the source.
• Using different types of extraction hoods on the articulated arms, depending on the actual work carried out by the operator and therefore of the capacity needs.
• Selection of the fixing points of piping and arms in the production room with the subsequent design and manufacture of all the special customized brackets in order to be integrated in the present plant context.
• Selection of the simple extraction centrifugal fan by considering the overall plant capacity and the load losses of the connected systems.
• Design of the general electrical panel board for plant control, including the automatic adjustment of the fan revolutions with inverter system that changes in real time the work capacity depending on the actual number of workstations used for the maximum energy saving.